Holy basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum) also known as “Tulsi ” is an aromatic herb plant of the mint family. It has potent medicinal benefits & holds an important place in Indian culture and is worshipped as an avatar of Goddess Laxmi. Apart from that, holy basil leaves are notable for digestion, improving the respiratory system, and boosting immunity and its anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties make it an active component used in several ayurvedic medicines. Benefits of Holy Basil – It is loaded with vitamin A and C, calcium, iron, chlorophyll, zinc, and many more.
In Ayurveda, tulsi is called ‘The Incomparable One, “Mother Medicine of Nature” and “The Queen of Herbs.”
Holy Basil vs. Basil:-
|Holy basil or tulsi is known as Ocimum tenuiflorum. Holy basil is observed to be spicy and peppery. Holy basil or tulsi is specially used as an indigenous medicinal ingredient.||Basil is known scientifically as Ocimum basilicum. Basil has a sweet, anise quality. Whereas, edible basil leaves are mainly used for culinary dishes.|
Benefits of Holy Basil For health
- Holy basil is a natural immunity booster. It is a wealthy source of antioxidants, vitamin C, and zinc, which allows you to fight viruses, and other common ailments like cold, cough, fever, flu, etc.
- Tulsi reduces stress. It is an adaptogen plant as it enables your body to adapt to various types of stress.
- Tulsi additionally protects your body from numerous infections because it has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties.
- Consumption of tulsi leaves benefits your heart as it reduces high blood pressure and cholesterol level.
- Also, it contains eugenol, which has pain-relieving properties and is known to reduce body pain.
Benefits of Holy Basil For skin
- Anti-Acne- tulsi has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. Tulsi works wonders to present you with acne-free skin. It kills acne-causing bacteria and disinfects the pores. Additionally, basil leaves are also useful in purifying blood that helps get rid of acne as well as other skin infections.
- Skin Cleansing- tulsi is also astringent in nature that helps to soak up excess oil and moisture, thus imparting a deep cleansing effect to the skin. It additionally helps in pore tightening, improving the skin texture, facilitating in removing of dirt and impurities that clog pores, and also removing excess oil from the skin.
- Tulsi also reduces pigmentation.
- Soothes skin conditions like eczema.
- Tulsi helps in lightening the complexion and gives you glowing skin.
- Tulsi additionally helps in improving lipid metabolism, stabilizing blood sugar, and reducing insulin sensitivity.
Benefits of Holy Basil For hair
- Tulsi helps in strengthening hair follicles.
- Repairs dead skin cells in the scalp.
- Enhances circulation in the scalp.
- Stop premature greying hair.
- Stop hair fall.
- Reduces dandruff and itchiness.
- It moisturizes hair and improves hair elasticity.
Holy basil benefits for Anxiety and Depression
Holy basil, a simple herbal adaptogen, may help at a number of levels. It can add a calming effect to an anxious mind and decrease the tendency to hold the stress response going. It can slow the release of cortisol receptors, limiting the damage it can do.
What are the benefits of holy basil tea?
Potential benefits of tulsi tea are:-
- Strengthens the immune system, promotes longevity, and enhances well-being.
- Reduces the negative physical and psychological effects of stress.
- Promotes respiratory health.
- Increases the body’s efficiency in using oxygen, which improves stamina, power, and endurance.
- Helps with digestion and gastrointestinal problems.
- Facilitates healthy liver function.
- Relieves inflammation from arthritis and other diseases.
- Helps in frightening infections.
- Reduces cell and tissue damage from sun rays, radiation therapy, and other radiation sources.
Is drinking basil water good for you?
Drinking basil water should assist in reducing bloating and water retention. It can even stimulate loss of appetite and could cure acid reflux as well. Consuming tulsi water improves bowel movements and fights against acid refluxes in addition to indigestion and other digestive problems. It also helps the body flush out dangerous toxins.
Does holy basil help in weight loss?
It is also a tremendous natural remedy for weight loss because it is very low in calories and excessive in crucial nutrients. It is a good source of potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin C. It’s normally believed that consuming Tulsi tea or simply chewing fresh basil leaves on an empty stomach helps you to stay fit and healthy.