Dry skin, also known as xerosis or xeroderma. Dry skin is often caused by a failure of the body’s built-in moisturizing mechanism – the stratum corneum, or when the oils that help maintain your skin’s moisture levels are stripped away from the skin’s surface. Dry skin causes it is exacerbated by external factors like weather, heating, and air conditioning
Dry skin causes
Anyone can develop dry skin. While environmental, genetics, and certain diseases can also play a significant role. Causes of dry skin can include one or more of the following:
- BATHING AND SWIMMING – Taking a bath for long periods in hot water can strip the skin barrier of precious lipids. Frequent swimming in heavily chlorinated pools can have the same effect.
- HARSH CLEANSERS – Harsh soaps and detergents can also cause dry skin. Normal skin has a balance of moisture and oils and is slightly acidic at a pH of ~5.0. Soaps tend to be much more alkaline with a pH of ~10.0. Synthetic detergents are a better choice with a pH closer to healthy skin.
- SUN EXPOSURE – Sun exposure in any climate can dry out the skin. UV rays penetrate deep below the skin’s surface, leading to wrinkles and sagging skin. The Sun-exposed skin gradually loses moisture and essential oils, making it appear dry, flaky, and prematurely wrinkled.
- HUMIDITY – Due to low humidity in the air and from central heating systems, winter is a peak time for dry skin, air conditioning can also cause dry skin because it removes much of the moisture from the air.
- GENETICS – In some studies, it is found that some people have a genetic flaw that causes a lack of a type of protein, called filaggrin, in their skin. This protein is essential for skin barrier function, helping to form a protective layer at the surface of the skin that keeps water in and foreign organisms out. Reduction or complete absence of this important protein leads to impaired formation of the skin barrier.
- Climate – when temperatures and humidity levels drop. Winter can also cause preexisting skin conditions (like eczema and psoriasis) to worsen.
Why should you care about hydration?
Your skin is your first and best layer of protection for your body from the outside world. It functions at its best when it’s healthy and intact. Dehydrated skin lacks enough water in it, which means it’s not a skin type, it’s something that everyone can experience, whether your skin is oily, normal, or dry – in fact, sometimes excess oil can be caused by dehydration! When you have dry skin you have increased water loss from the skin which can end up not only leaving it dehydrated but also reduce its ability to naturally combat and repair damage from pollution, sun, and other ‘insults.’” Therefore, making sure your skin is always hydrated means that your skin is able to function better.
Importance of hydrated skin
When you drink water, it doesn’t automatically absorb straight to the skin. It hydrates cells once absorbed into the bloodstream, and then it is filtered by the kidneys. Keeping yourself hydrated can help your skin stay healthy, no specific drink will help to rehydrate skin alone. Drinking water flushes the system and hydrates the body overall. But it doesn’t actually hydrate thirsty skin as much as it improves blood flow to the surface. It is a lack of water instead, that shows up as dryness, irritation, fine lines, and acne on the skin. To treat dry skin you will need `to apply moisturizers topically. Choosing moisturizing options like colloidal oatmeal and shea butter can help to replenish the skin’s moisture.
What do I use to hydrate my skin?
To maintain a hydrated and soft complexion first and foremost you need to drink an adequate amount of water every day. However, even if you drink lots of water daily, your skin still needs an additional boost of moisture. This involves using effective skincare products in your daily routine. Best dry skincare products range to soothe and repair dry, itch, and irritated skin. The 100% chemical-free and preservative-free skincare provides a healthy cleansing, toning, and moisturizing routine that maintain the skin’s moisture barrier and protect the skin from environmental/climatic damage. At SNAANA we have the best after-shower body and face oil formulated with a variety of herbs, flowers, and essential oil. This multipurpose oil nourishes the skin while still feeling super lightweight and fast-absorbing. These products are designed to completely revitalize the skin.